Posidi beach is marked with an antique whitewashed lighthouse.
The lighthouse was established in 1864 and was near to the coast in its early days, although the water has since receded. The sand stretch was formed subsequently as a consequence of silt accumulation.
This colonial-styled lighthouse is still in service today, and it is encircled by a little flower garden, which adds to its allure.
The existence of “Mendi” is intrinsically related to the site.
Mendi’s place names, such as Posidio, an ionic variant of Posidonion, as Thucydides identifies it in the fifth century BC, were retained.
The Poseidon Temple, built on a spit of land near the sea, is four kilometres west.