The lovely chapel of Panagia Faneromeni is located in an outstanding setting in front of the sea and has remarkable 16th century AD wall paintings.
The white-washed church belongs to Thessaly’s Monastery of Flaumouri. When the Turks freed Thessaly in 1881 AD, it was given to the Theological School of Halki, to which it still belongs today.
Visitors may still view the exquisite paintings from the 16th century on the church’s walls.
The impressions of feet alleged to be stamped by the Turks may be seen on the holy icon of Virgin Mary carved of marble, albeit they are more likely to belong to the base of a pagan statue that was removed and sactified with the image of Virgin Mary.